Sunday, June 1, 2008

Wesleys' Three Simple Rules . . .

Rueben Job has a new book out. $5 at Cokesbury or Amazon.com (hardcover). The book is titled: Three Simple Rules: A Wesleyan Way of Living.

Wesley's three rules were:

1) Do no harm.
2) Do good.
3) Strive to love God more.

Sometimes you have to watch out for "small" books. Soemtimes they have a great impact of many people.

Bonhoffer's The Cost of Discipleship is a small book. Small as it may be size wise, it shook up many a theological student before, during and after I was in seminary.

Another small book, The Prayer of Jabez, has had a profound effect on many people. A friend of mine who lives down near Waco has prayed this prayer daily for over 5 years, and his testimony is awesome to hear.

And, I've lost count over the years of how many copies of the Gospel of John I have given away.

However, it has been a while since a "small" book grabbed me.

Three Simple Rules has taken hold of me and has not yet let me go. Please do not construe this as some sort of cosmic wrestling match . . . I've alread been pinned for a three count, and I haven't been let back up yet.

My first complete reading of this book was several nights ago. All clergy in our conference had been sent a copy, along with a request that we read it before Annual Conference sessions begins tomorrow morning. The goal is for us to learn new skills for speaking and listening, so that we might gather together in the spirit of Christian conferencing. At least, that is how I interpreted the request.

In the book, one get's the sense that Job wrote the book initially for the delegates to our recent General Conference. Having heard from others who were there, and having read reports for several "sides" of the debates . . . I wish more people would have read Job's book.

All that set aside . . . this book struck a deep chord within my soul which reaches far beyond any concept of Christian conferencing. I will be carrying this little book with me for a while . . . reading it again and again when I can, along with some of John Wesley's sermons and writings on the same topic.

Our single adult class, Singular Journey, will be studying this little book for the entire summer . . . beginning June 15th. I think this book is worth that long of a study. As I am reading right now for the 2nd time, I am just writing down question after question. This little book is rich.

At least it is for me, right now where I am in my life.

This little book will make you think . . . and that always is a good thing. Now comes the hard part . . . looking at my life . . . the level of my faith . . . and the degree of my daily witness.

Sometimes the simple things are the very hardest to accomplish.

Ever forward . . . ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

I was looking for some reading to take to the hospital with me, thanks for the review.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...