Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Singing is a spiritual practice . . .

In the past 8 days, I have helped or officiated at 3 funerals (2 of them were "big" funerals), officiated at a wedding, preached twice at another church, installed a ceiling fan for my kids at their home, and had to climb up a ladder twice to get my cat of my roof.

I noticed yesterday that I felt like I was running on empty. At lot of what I do in ministry isn't necessarily phyiscal in nature . . . but a lot of it is emotional. A lot of what we do in ministry is emotionally draining.

I felt drained . . . fatigued . . .

So yesterday, I got out my Martin D-15, and played and sang for about 2 hours. And the songs I sang were as hodge-podge as ever . . .

Call me eclectic I guess . . .

-Route 66 (Asleep at the Wheel) - Is there a better highway song?
-To Love Somebody (Bee Gees) - A good song to sing to God.
-Let Your Love Flow (Bellamy Brothers) - Another good song to sing when you need a connection to God.
-Gimme Three Steps (Lynyrd Skynyrd) - I do a bluegrass version of this song.

I'm am extrovert. Singing is often a spiritual practice for extroverts. And sing I did. And played my Martin. And as I sang . . . I started feeling refreshed. As I sang . . . I started feeling the energy building back up inside me. As I sang . . . I think I felt God's hand on my shoulder, and I heard him singing with me . . .

I believe God sings baritone. At least he did for Gimme Three Steps!

When I finished singing . . . I found that my head was clear . . . my perspective and focus was back . . . how I would handle the remaining activities of the week all seem to fall into place.

Singing to me, as a spiritual practice, is equal too, if not as important as Bible study and prayer. Singing is my way of praying. Singing is my way of getting my batteries charged back to full power.

Singing is my connection to the "ever-ready" power source that I call . . . "God."

Every forward . . . ><>

2 comments:

Mark said...

Man, I'm jealous. Sometimes I dream that I can play the piano with an admiring crowd looking on. However, I've heard that you want to be good at music, you have to work hard. Leaves me out.

On a related note, I'm planning to take my daughter to a music store today to check out lessons. We bought her a guitar for Christmas and it's not doing any good sitting on a stand in her room.

doodlebugmom said...

thats a very cool way to recharge.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...