Friday, May 30, 2008

Attending Annual Conference this next week . . .

I will be out Sunday evening through Wednesday afternoon attending our yearly Annual Conference Session, this year in Ft. Worth. With the exception of atteding the Steve Illies memorial service on Monday morning, I will be participating in what for many years has been the least exciting / least enjoyable thing I do as a UMC pastor each year.

However, the past couple of years, I've taken a different approach. I am slowly coming to the point where I believe that there is no place for politics in the church.

Yeah, I know . . . call me naive!

There just has to be a better way . . . a more Christlike way to operate a regional church body . . . so instead of just complaining about things, or leaving the denomination, I decided a few years ago to work, in a way ruled by grace and not by politics, with others for some constructive change.

Last year . . . it was working to get some fresh faces elected to General and Jurisdictional Conference. Yeah, I know . . . election of delegates is politics. I found that out first hand! However, for the first time, I also experienced what it was like to be part of a consensus! Talking to like minded people, whose hope is for God-lead renewal for our Annual Conference and Church.

This year . . . well, I am not quite sure what many of the discussions will be about. I hear that many are upset with GC decisions, while I also hear that many are very pleased with GC decisions. But I do feel led to talk to people that I don't know very well. I am going to be introducing myself a lot.

Hey, my name is Rick. I'm one of the preachers in Grapevine . . . How ya doin'?

I think also . . . I want to serve in a deeper capacity than I have before. I will be on the District Board of Ordained Ministry this year . . . and I was nominated for the Conference B.O.M. as well, but have not heard if I was selected.

So, I am going to see where I can volunteer or serve the district or annual conference in a way that is out of my usual comfort zone.

I may go kickint-and-screaming . . . but I feel like I need to stretch.

Actually . . . I feel like I have been a complainer too long . . . and just want to be part of finding some positive and fruitful suggestions or answer.

As a result, I wii end up having hundrends of conversations with other pastors and laity from churches throughout our Annua Conference . . . and some of the discussions I'm sure will be very positive.

So, I am preparing to go to Annual Conference, where I will be positive, and willing to engage with others in discussions to share what is important to each of us.

Maybe I will do some listening to God as well.

Ever forward . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...