Monday, May 5, 2008

Barber's advice and my new Tilley hat . . .

Last Tuesday, I got a haircut. I've written before about the barbershop I frequent. It is my "man-cave." An "estrogen-free-zone."

All the of guys who work there are great barbers, but lately I've been asking Joe, the owner, to cut my hair.

I like Joe. He is a wonderful conversationalist, and he knows a lot about many of the guys who come through his shop . . . either for haircuts, coffee, or just to shoot-the-breeze. I've heard him give guys advice . . . I've seen him follow guys out to their cars, put his arm around them . . . giving them a word of encouragement.

I guess Joe, in some aspect, is a pastor like me . . . except his "church building" is a little barber shop on Glade Road in Grapevine, just off Hwy 121.

After my haircut, Joes says to me . . . "I need you to listen to your barber for a moment."

Hmmm, that didn't sound like a barber . . . it sounded more like a Dad . . . or a good friend!

"Rick . . . you need to start wearing a hat. The back of your ears and the back of your neck are pretty red today . . . and you have a couple of spots you might want your doctor to look at."

Ouch!!!!!!!!

The day before, I had gone fishing for about an hour during lunch, in a bright Texas spring sun. And, wouldn't you know it, I forgot to take my old fishing / gardening hat with me. It's a great hat . . . just incredibly ugly with sweat stains and old dried paint.

My wife and I took a trip to another town later in the week. My favorite shop there is Hill Country Outfitters. For several years they have stocked Tilley Hats. This time, they had one my size . . . one of the new "Airflo" series. Lightweight . . . with mess for ventilation . . . blocks 98% of harmful UV rays . . .

I bought it.

I alread think it is going to be the best hat I have ever used. I will write about Tilley Hats later on. Their web site is something else. I have wanted to purchase one for many years, but the cost kept me from letting go of the money. I wish now that I had ordered a Tilley Hat when I first heard about them.

So, I am going to the doctor in a little over a month for my regular checkup / new prescription time. And yes, I am going to ask her to look at my neck and ears. I grew up in South Texas, in the Rio Grande Valley. South Padre Island / Port Isabel was my second home throughout my high school years. I would move back to the Texas Gulf Coast in a minute . . . but only if gainfully employed.

In those days . . . we used baby oil for sunscreen. We wore muscle shirts, or no shirts at all. All my friends were tanned. I was most always "lobster red."

I am indeed a fair skinned German.

It's a wonder so many in my generation have skin cancer of some sorts. My mom has it. I've been to the doctor about 30 times in the past 5 years . . . in various states of undress . . . enough that anything suspicous area or spot would have been detected.

I hope.

So . . . better to be proactive. If the sun is shining this coming hot Texas summer . . . I will have my hat on. Sunscreen on my face, ears and neck . . . will be applied everyday.

Better safe than sorry . . . or regretful about something that coulda / shoulda been done earlier, before dicovering that starting now is really too late.

So . . . my thanks go out to Joe, my barber and my friend. Thanks for caring enough to offer some very good advice. Perhaps he sensed I liked him well enough that I would listen.

Considering he was shaving the back of my neck with a straight razor . . . I had no choice.

Timing is everything . . . especially when you are sharing something really important!

Ever forward . . . ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

I am a fair Norweigen/Scot/German and I am always super careful about the sun. My grandpa had skin cancer and so did my dad,best listen to Joe.

And don't forget lipbalm with spf too!

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...