Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What's in a name . . .

Changed the name of the blog back to One Peculiar Christian.

It better reflects how I am feeling right now . . . and I'm feeling pretty well, actually.

We are called to be a "peculiar people." As we start gearing now toward Advent/Christmas, I feel the need to do my part by standing out a little more in witness to the advancement of God's Kingdom here on earth.

There are some opportunities to sing a little more than normal. And I'm doing a lot more counseling. I sense this is a time of spiritual growth for myself and a lot of people in our church family.

I remember the first time in my life that I was called "peculiar." I took it as a compliment then, and I still do now. After having some success in athletics as a sophomore and junior in high school, but I did not play any sport my senior year in order to sing and travel with a Christian band. It was my basketball coach who said, "That is one peculiar kid! Doesn't he know what he is giving up?"

Sure I knew . . . but I had a calling . . . I knew in my heart . . . that singing, playing the guitar, and sharing my love for Jesus with other teens in central and south Texas was what I was supposed to do.

And, despite the label . . . I found joy!

If being peculiar is not following the crowd . . . or asking "why are we doing it this way?" . . . or simply stating to those who wish to draw us away from our called task, "I'm not interested in that" . . . or knowing in my heart I have to be the one who may have to say "no" . . . then I guess I'm peculiar.

If being peculiar is going against the grain . . . choosing to be happy . . . choosing to consider others . . . choosing to give my prayers, prayers, gifts and service . . . then I guess I'm peculiar.

If being peculiar is not wearing a suit and tie . . . if peculiar is having more guitar stuff in my office than will realistically fit . . . if peculiar is telling the people who I pastor, "I love you," . . . then I guess I am peculiar.

I guess John Mason said it best, "You were born an original, don't die a copy."

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post - and I'm in full agreement ;). It's more fun to be peculiar than it is to follow the crowd. I particularly enjoyed the quote at the end "Don't die a copy."

I may have to use that one.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...