Monday, October 8, 2007

Discoverintg how much my blog is "worth" got me thinking . . .

And thinking, for me, is a dangerous thing to do. Get's me in too much trouble!

So, Floyd, Mark, Linda, Neal, Steve, John, and others who let me know they read this blog . . .

What is it that truly establishes how much anything is "worth?"

Now, I don't truly classify this blog as anything important. It is just an outlet for me to share my views and experiences . . . after all, a blog is a diary of sorts, right?

Here is where I am going with this . . .

A friend asked me the other day . . . if the the church caught on fire, what would you go back in to save? I believe I may have been asked this question when my blog was profiled on the Locusts and Honey blog last year.

I would think I would go back in to save people, especially children . . .

I would think I would go back in to save the important records of the church . . .

But I know what I would "for sure" (we actually do say that a lot here in Texas) go back in to save . . . my Martin DC-16GTE guitar.

That guitar is a gift from God through the help of a foundation grant, and gifts from my two dear very best friends, Joe and Floyd. As far as my possessions go . . . it probably right now is the most valuable single item I own. I just walked through my home . . . and no other possession, not even all my fishing stuff . . . comes even close.

In truth, it is not the most "expensive" possession I own. But it is the one thing that is "worth" more to me than anything else, at this time and place in my life.

Why is this? Why have I rated the "worth" of a guitar so highly over most any other possession I own? Because that beautiful guitar, which God is letting me be the steward of, reminds me of the importance of dearly and deeply cherished friendships. It also reminds me of my finally accepting the ministry God has called me to undertake . . . "to make a joyful noise wherever I am, or to cause one to be made."

People tell me that I "shine" when I play that guitar . . . like they know, that I know, I'm doing what I am supposed to be doing.

I wonder if many of things we possess, on which we place great "worth," is because it is related to a relationship, or some great sacrifice, or it is the fruit of a long journey of quest.

What truly establishes the "worth" of something you own?

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pity the poor soul who measures the worth of everything in dollars and cents. I don't have a specific possession I treasure because of you. But my life would be "worth" a great deal less without you in it. And as you shine in the spotlight with your guitar, I stand offstage in the shadows and watch. And smile.

Don't forget to save the photographs...

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...