Monday, October 22, 2007

Thank you Seekers Class . . .

I had the honor of singing for the Seekers Sunday School Class gathering this past Saturday evening. Liz and I are "official members" of the class, having "been allowed" to join after my 5oth birthday. For the past two years, the Seekers have "bought me" at our annual gala and grand auction.

I officiated at a wedding earlier in the afternoon, and with my allergies . . . my only "somewhat" adequate voice got a little raspy.

Sigh!

My fellow Seekers were very appreicative, despite my more-nasal-than-normal voice. We had a great time . . . singing a variety of songs from the 60's and 70's: rock, country, folk, bluegrass, John Denver, Dan Fogleberg, and Elvis.

I learned a long time ago . . . when you sing for people who are older than you . . . you have to sing:

-One Gospel Song
-One Patriotic Song
-One Elvis Song

A good rule to live by!

I did break out the new Sheraton II, and led the Seekers in a rock-n-roll version of "Hokey Pokey," followed by my first ever attempt in public to do my rendition of Joe Walsh's "Walk Away." Made it through OK . . . but I did get a couple of strange looks . . . and they were deserved. Perhaps I am not really made out to be a 60's rocker after all!

My daughter, Maranda, joined me for our version of the song "Dead Armadillo," which was written by young Harvey Kullemberg, back in 1976 when I was the summer youth director at the United Methodist Church in Bastrop, TX. I only remember the first verse and the chorus . . . but the class got into it pretty good.

It was a dead armadillo ( HA! HA!)
It was a dead armadillo (HO! HO!)
It was a dead armadillo (HEE! HEE!)
It was a dead armadillo (MY! MY!)
It was a dead armadillo, baby it was smilin' at me.

You have to see the hand gestures you do with the song to understand it. Trust me.

Great people, great fellowship, great food . . . especially Carol Lee's cookies. Yum Yum!

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

Maybe only a Texan can appreciate a song about a dead armadillo? :o)

I would be "diggin" the John Denver and Dan Fogleburg tho!

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...