Thursday, February 28, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 14 - 2/28/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 8:42-59

Devotional Thought

"Who do you think you are?" - John 8:53

If you were to see a picture of my late father, and then see a picture of me when I was the same age, you would know pretty quickly whose son I was (except for my long hair!!)

If you knew my Mom, and observed how she spoke and addressed people in public, or watched her teach middle school Language Arts when she was a teacher . . . you would know who my Mom is.

I have some of the physical features of both my Dad and my Mom.  If you had known my Dad, or if you knew my Mom, you would know without a doubt what family I belonged to.

As I read our scripture for today, I am struck that again the crowd asks Jesus, "who do you think you are?"   Perhaps that is a way of also asking, "whose son are you?"

Jesus' answer is this question is really good.  If I may paraphrase here in my own words:

"If you really knew my Dad, then it would be obvious to you that I am his Son!"

Jesus pointed people to his Father.  As you read his words during this Lenten journey, ask yourself the question . . . "Do I see God in all that Jesus is saying and doing?"

At 55 years of age, I can say that my answer is more often "Yes" than "No."

The rest of the time, my answer is "I hope so." 

Honestly, sometimes the words of Christ as recorded in the Bible are difficult to understand.  In the difficult times of study, as well as when I am in the difficult times of life . . . I really hope I can see God through everything I read about Jesus in the Bible.

That's why I spend time each Lenten season participating in more devotional practices than at any other time of the year.  I want to read more and more about Jesus Christ . . . and in the process get to know God better than I do now.

For me, it's part of the hard work required to make the path straight for the arrival of Easter.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>



No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...