Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Lenten Devotional - Day 1 - Feb. 13, 2013

Devotional Reading - John 1:1-34

Devotional Thought:

"Make straight the way of the Lord." 

For many who read this story of the ministry of John the Baptist, the meaning of these words is unmistakable.  I can see John on a rock, or standing above the people on a low hill, within easy shouting distance.  I can hear him crying out, "Make straight the way of the Lord."

Some words have different meaning depending on the inflection or volume we use.  When we whisper sweetly in a loved one's ear, "I love you," we share in a tender moment of initmate communication.

Lean over and shout out "I love you," in someone's ear . . . and a fight is probably getting ready to start.  Same words . . . different outcome.

What John cries out has the same meaning if he were to have whispered it into someone ear as well.  John's message is that the King is coming!  The long awaited Messiah is near.  With that knowledge ought to come the desire to sweep and clear away the debris and obstructions along the roadway which could prevent passage.  Clearing the way means it could be time to pick up a shovel, and start moving some rocks.

What are the specks of dust, dirt, pebbles, small rocks, medium rocks, large rocks, boulders or mountains in your own life that need to be cleared away  as we begin the Season of Lent?  What needs to be done so that God knows, and we know in our hearts as well, that we really mean business?

It's time to start getting ready for Easter . . . that is what the Season of Lent is all about.  It's time to do some hard work.

Lord, give me the strength to do the hard work of reviewing my life honestly . . . so I can repent of my failures . . . and then turn my life around so I can prepare myself for the coming of the King.

Amen!

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...