Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 6 - 2/19/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 4:39-54

Devotional Thought:

"This was the second miraculous sign that Jesus performed, having come from Judea to Galilee." - John 4:54

I guess it must be the mood I am in today.  I can't read this scripture lesson without focusing on the word "sign."  The word is used twice in the NIV translation, in verses 48 and 54. 

I also can't get the words of the chorus to the old rock song, "Signs" by the 5 Man Electric Band out of my mind  . . .

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that
Can't you read the sign?

I took my wife to DFW Airport this morning to catch a flight.  I had to get her there at 6 AM.  As I was driving out of terminal E, I started watching for the signs that would lead me back to the south airport exit so I could exit after the toll booths and get on Airport Drive to catch Mid-Cities Blvd back to my home.

I almost missed the exit . . . actually I sorta kinda cut in front of someone to not have to drive completely around the terminal again.  There were so many signs . . . all the same size and color . . . something that I find confusing as you weave around left and right and left and right and then right to go left . . .

The signs that help us see God are all around us as well.  But a lot of other signs block the view.

The sunrise and sunset . . . the chirp of a song bird . . . the call from a friend . . . are all signs that God is alive and active in your life.  Seeing people do kinds things to others . . . another sign that God is alive and active in  your life.

As you continue to make straight the road of your life before Easter . . . don't accidentially sweep away a sign to you from God.  God's signs are always consistent, in that they share the message, "here I am!" 

Remember, God's goal is for you to find your way to Him.  The signs are there.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...