Friday, February 15, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 3 - 2/15/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 2

Devotional Thought:

"Do whatever he tells you." - John 2:5

Just like a mother.

My Mom is now in her 70's.  She is happy and in good health, very active in her church and in those things that she is interested in.

I remember during my teenage years, when she would say something like, "I don't really care how old your think you are . . . if I feel  that I need to tell you what to do, I will!"

Most of the time, my mom let me make my own decisions.  I usually chose right, because I knew what was at stake.  You see, my mom had that look (all mom's have "that look") . . . the look that would chill the blood in your body, and let you know deep down-in-depths of your soul that you had dissapointed her . . . or even worse, had violated the trust she had in you.

My mom's trust was something sacred.  I appreciated and valued it dearly.  I still do.

Mom trusted me with her car, trusted me with caring for my little sister, and for helping my younger brother keep out of trouble.  Not an easy assignment, because my brother's middle name was in fact "Trouble," if I may quote a line from a certain Lynyrd Skynyrd song.

Mom's advice and counsel was good . . . and as a result, I did not get into the kind of trouble others did. 

Jesus' mom sees a problem at a wedding.  Then, just like a mom, see walks over to Jesus to let him know what she thinks he should do about it.  And then, again just like a mom, she goes and tells others to do whatever Jesus tells them to do.

In others words . . . Jesus' mom simply says, "just do it."

Several years ago, Dr. Cindy Ryan also wrote about Jesus' mother . . .

We would do well this season to listen to Jesus' mother.  When Jesus says, 'Follow me,' we should just do it.  When he says, 'Love one another,' we should just do it. When he says, 'Feed my sheep,' we should just do it."

This is day #3 of our Lenten journey.  On day #1, John cried to us to "make straight the way for the Lord."

This Lenton season . . . let's just do it.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>





No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...