Saturday, February 16, 2013

I had a guitar lesson yesterday

I was doing some straightening up yesterday during my day off at Grapevine Guitar Works.  Sean let's me hang guitars up, arrange things, etc.

Paul Reitz comes in most days for a while as well, and gives guitar lessons in the back of the store.  He walked up and said, "Rick, my lesson cancelled.  You want to come back for a lesson?"

Now, friends, I like to think I am a pretty good acousitc rhythm guitarist.  Paul is a classical style guitar player . . . one of my favorites to listen to . . . and I love to watch him play as well.

So . . . with nothing to lose, I grabbed a guitar off the wall and walked back with him to the lesson room.

I got worried pretty quickly when he said, "Rick, I've notice a couple of things when I watch you play that you could work on . . ."   And in the next 20 minutes, Paul proceeded to gift me with a weeks worth of lessons.

1)  Left hand placement, particularly the thumb
2)  How to more correctly hold a guitar pick
3)  Strumming the guitar with more action in the elbow, and not the wrist
4)  Placement of the right hand for finger-picking
5)  Action of the thumb and first 3 fingers on the right hand

There was probably more . . . I just don't remember.

In the process . . . Paul was gentle, kind, and explained things to me where it didn't take me more than 2 times to get every point, and to understand the drills I need to practice.

And awesome experience.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...