Friday, March 1, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 15 - 3/1/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 9:1-12

Devotional Thought:

"While I am in the world, I am the light of the world." - John 9:5

After my cancer diagnosis this past fall, I took the time to visit with Trudy Hughes, who herself is a cancer survivor.

I shared with her that I had asked my doctor if there was anything I had done that caused my cancer to form.  My doctor said "No."  As he put it . . . my family history was OK, and there were no real risk factors for thyroid cancer.  In other words, people get thyroid cancer and we can't explain why.

Trudy shared that she had, several years earlier, asked her doctor the same question, and got the same answer.  What Trudy next shared with me gave me some needed hope.  She shared how she began to see God working through her situation, especially in all her friends who came to offer help and encouragement in so many wonderful ways. 

Trudy then looked me in the eye, and told me, "For the first time in my life, I could feel someone prayers lifting me up!"

What caused the blind-man's blindness?  Who knows?  In truth, it doesn't really matter.

What matters is that the "light of the world" touched the man's eyes.  And I believe he could feel "lifted up!" 

His life changed dramatically as a result.

Unfortunately, there are those in the story who were still stumbling around in the dark . . . who could not see the miracle that we do when we read this story.

Have you ever felt "lifted up" through the love and tender touch of others . . . or through the spirit of Christ that dwells in the hearts of those who ask him to come live there?

The "light of the world" is still among us . . . and his light helps us to overcome the darkness which hides the obstacles on the Lenten road that need yet to be cleared away or removed before Easter.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><> 

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...