Saturday, March 9, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 22 - 3/9/13

Devotional Scripture:   John 14

Devotional Thought:

"I am the way and the truth and the life." - John 14:6

When I travel to someone's home or go on a trip . . . I usually print out a map from my computer, or have the location "pinned" on the Maps app on my smart phone.

Why?  Well, I don't want to be late, and I don't want to get lost.  Simple enough.

Actually, it's more than that. 

I don't like to ask for directions. 

It's not what you think.  This isn't about "men never want to ask for directions."

Well . . . maybe it is.

Here's what usually happens when I ask someone for directions.  

"Well, let me think a minute . . . I think you take this road here, and go down across the next two intersections . . . and then around the first part of the S-Curve past the 2nd light . . . or maybe it's the 3rd light . . . and as you just start to come around the first corner you take the 2nd right . . . or is it the 1st left? And then you turn right again by the old grocery store . . . or is it the drug store?  Well anyway, at the next corner you'll see the Post Office off in the distance up the hill, but before you get to it, hang a right and look for a white mailbox . . . turn right at the next corner, and then you drive . . . ."

You know how it is . . . dont you. 

You do if you were honest.

In my case, nine times out of ten, I get lost, then get mad at myself for not having the right map or not having any "bars" on my cell phone . . . and then had to ask someone else for directions . . .

A few times I turned around and went home  . . . at least I would have if I could have found my way back!!!!

However, on a couple of occassions when I have asked for directions . . . the response has been, "Follow me, I'll take you there."

Those acts of sincere kindness are always greatly appreciated.

If you are looking for God in a special way this Lenten season, then look to Jesus.  He doesn't bother with directions or a map.   Instead, he will just take you to God. 

There are 18 days of Lent left . . . Jesus will lead you the rest of the way around any obstacles you haven't yet cleared away on your path to Easter.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>



No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...