Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 25 - Wednesday - 3/13/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 16:17-33

Devotional Thought:

"What does he mean by 'a little while'? We don understand what he is saying." - John 16:18

This is one of several scripture verses found in the Gospels that convinces me that a majority of Jesus' disciples were probably 15-18 years old. 

My wife and I raised two daughters.  There were times, when they were teens, when my wife and I would offer advice concerning a situation they were about to experience.  If you are/have been a parent of teens, you remember those times when your intuition kicked in that your child was leaning toward a decision or response that would lead them to dissappointment.  In others words, they were close to doing something they would remember with regret.

In the process of our "discussion" with them, my girls would get stuck on what they thought concluded was the main point my wife and I were trying to make.

I believe the same thing happened to the disciples in today's scripture lesson.  Jesus had shifted the discussion toward what they were about to experience in the coming days.  The disciples seemed unable to understand what he was saying because they had focused on the little phrase "a little while."  Jesus was offering them some major advice and counsel, but they weren't listening because they were all focused on what "a little while" means.

Seriously . . . some of the disciples must have been teenagers.  I have no doubt about this.

Jesus shares with them that he is going to die.  As a result, the disciples were going to naturally experience grief, loss, confusion, fear . . . but out of the experience would flow a new life.

Reread verse 33:  "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

Friends . . . on this 25th day of Lent . . . some on the journey will have come to the conclusion, or are near it, that the work of clearing away and making straight the road that leads to Easter is hard . . . very hard. 

Perhaps the words of Christ are echoing in our ears and brains because what he says is so true . . . "in this world you will have trouble." 

Please don't get stuck on that phrase like teens sometimes get stuck on something that isn't the main point.  

Keep reading . . . "But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

Keep sweeping away the rubble.  Keep pushing the rocks and boulders on your path off to the side.  Keep filling in the places where your road has been washed away.  

Why? 

So that you can more easily come face-to-face this Easter with the one who has overcome the troubles of the world  . . . for you!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>







No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...