Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Lenten Daily Devotional - Day 37 - Wednesday, 3/27/13

Devotional Scripture:  John 21:1-14

Devotional Thought:

"Come and have breakfast." - John 21:12

Have you ever woke from a good night's sleep and smelled coffee brewing, bacon fying, or bread baking?

Rats, now I'm hungry!

I make breakfast for my wife and I about 4 mornings a week.  I usually make what I call "Apple Pie Oatmeal."

Yes, seriously . . . and it tastes better than apple pie. 

While cooking the oatmeal . . . I add Splenda and cinnamon, and a shot of sugar-free maple syrup.

Then, once the oatmeal is removed from the heat of the stove top, I add an entire chopped apple that I heated in the microwave.  Needless to say, I buy a lot of apples.

Then . . . I add chopped walnuts and dried cranberries. (I get mine from the bulk bins at Sprout's in Lewisville.)

I can get anybody to like oatmeal . . . trust me.  If you don't think so, you need to come over one day and try my "Chocolate Cherry Coconut" oatmeal.  I usally save it for the holidays or a rainy Saturday morning.

Mmmmmm Mmmmmmm good! 

This story is the only place in the Bible where breakfast is mentioned.  A breakfast of fresh bread and roasted fish. 

The disciples have just obeyed the suggestions of a stranger on the shore.  As a result, they have a boat-load of fish . . . a clear abundance of fish.  Then comes the realization that the person on the shore is Jesus himself. 

They come ashore . . . and Jesus is there to meet their most immediate physcial need . . . he has breakfast waiting for them after a hard night of fruitless fishing.

That is, until the last throw of the nets.

I've had more than my share of fruitlness nights of fishing . . .  you come home hungry.

Jesus took the bread and gave it to all of them to eat.  Fish sandwiches for breakfast.  Probably not bad tasting at all after a hard night of work. 

What a wonderful message for all of us making final preparations as we clear away and straighten our paths to Easter . . .  that the Savior we will meet fresh again on Easter is the same Savior who feeds us in so many wonderful and unique ways.  Especially . . . he feeds our souls with his presence in our lives.

God's grace (and presence) still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...