Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You gotta walk, this lonesome valley . . .

Today is starting out with a lot of pondering and contemplation on things important, and not so important.

In the midst of deciding that there are a lot of things I can't control (but I can control my responses to them) I remembered this song. Good thing to know, as I find myself walking through a valley of sorts . . . a journey I have to travel because it is part of my personal life journey as I work to find peace in the sudden death of a friend and ministry partner. As the song says, "there ain't no one here can walk it for you . . . you gotta walk it by yourself."

Although he doesn't know it ... Pete Seeger is my musical mentor in many ways. Watching him perform, and watching him working with such ease to get the audience to sing with him . . . I never forgot those lessons. As a theraputic music entertainer, I enjoy getting people to sing, like the seniors in nursing and retirement homes; or those who gather at an RV park, campground, or Scout camp fire circle; or the children, youth and adults who come to worship at our church.

Something Pete said years ago has served me and others well when we pause to remember it. In my own words . . . good thing seem to happen when different kinds of people come to sing together, because afterwards, they might just start talking with each other.

Music and God's grace still amaze me . . . ><>



No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...