Thursday, December 11, 2008

Is "character" the real foundation of all worthwhile success? . . .

On Thursday mornings at 6:30 AM, I met with a group of men who gather at a local restaurant for breakfast, fellowship and Bible study. We are currently working together through the book of Acts.

I find real value in meeting with these guys each week. My week doesn't feel right when I am unable to attend. I am honored to meet with them. I am blessed to call them my friends.

When I arrived at my office . . . I opened my email and saw that my weekly "Nugget fo the Week" from author John Mason had arrived. I believe I see in each of the guys who participates in our breakfast / Bible study the type of character which John Mason speaks of below.

I am indeed blessed by each of them.

Ever forward . . . ><>
_____________________________________

Living a double life will get you nowhere twice as fast. Character is the real foundation of all worthwhile success. A good question to ask yourself is, "What kind of world would this be if everybody were just like me?" You are simply an open book telling the world about its author. John Morely remarked, "No man can climb out beyond the limitations of his own character."

Would your reputation recognize your character if they met in the dark? Desire what Psalms declared, "Create in me a pure heart, Oh Lord, and renew in me a right spirit."

To change your character, you must begin at the control center-the heart. A bankruptcy of character is inevitable when you are no longer able to keep the interest paid on your moral obligations.

Never be ashamed of doing right. Phillip Brooks said, "A man who lives right and is right has more power in his silence than another has by his words."

Live so that your friends can defend you, but never have to do so. Consider what Woodrow Wilson said: "If you think about what you ought to do for people, your character will take care of itself." You're called to grow like a tree, not like a mushroom. It's hard to climb high when your character is low.

The world's best sermon is preached by the traffic sign: Keep Right.

-John Mason, from the book Know Your Limits Then Ignore Them

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...