Thursday, December 4, 2008

Built an "altar" lately . . . ???

Editorial Note: Funny thing . . . what follows comes out of my current email discussion with my friend, Floyd, about worship . . . and out of an email I am currently composing about pastors writing blogs. I share this so you can sense, in part, the context of my thinking.

I have just finished my second reading of the Gospels for this year . . . this time using the ESV translation (English Standard Version) which my dear friend, Floyd, introduced me to a year or so ago.

For those who would be curious to know . . . I am going to use the ESV as my first Bible of choice through the end of 2009. I am praying/waiting for an ESV New Testament and Psalms to be printed, that I can carry in my shoulder bag, that usually goes with me about everywhere I go these days.

Next . . . I plan to read Genesis, Exodus and Leviticus in the Old Testament.

In the Old Testament, a prominent theme is the building of altars.

Mark Batterson in his Evolutional.com blog recently wrote the following about altars. . .

One of the greatest dangers we face spiritually is learning how and forgetting why. That is why God is always telling us to build altars. Altars help us remember what God doesn't want us to forget.

Hmmmm . . . what altars have I built over the course of my life?

Are any of them still reminding me of something God doesn't want me to forget?

Are any of these altars still standing? Or has culture knocked them down?

This is good food for thought . . . and a helpful lense through which to begin my reading of the first three books of the Old Testament.

What exactly is it . . . that God doesn not want me to forget?

I would be curious to know what you think about this.

Ever forward . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...