Wednesday, May 16, 2012

One would believe that someone as big as I am . . . even though I have lost 35+ pounds in the past 4 months, would intimidate children.

I think it's the guitar that wins them over!    As Willie Nelson said, "As long as I have my guitar, I'll be fine."  I'll 2nd that.

I believe that children can read people's hearts instantly, and I hope what they "read" about me is that I am not a threat, but someone who cares, and who has some important things to share with them along the way of their life journey.  Yeah, I will always be "Pastor Rick" to the one's at the church, and the guy from "Hugworks" to the children at hospitals in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, but I am also a friend, and one who genuinely cares about the world we are leaving them.

I've reached 55 years old . . . still have my health, still have a loving wife and a great family, who are receiving much more of me these days than I have seen fit to give them in the past.  I have reached that point in my life where I am comfortable with not being preoccupied with meeting the expectations that others have of and for me.  No, I know what is important to me, and I'm comfortable with it.  I know what my values are and why I believe what I do.

In other words . . . I am desiring to embrace the title of "Elder."  Perhaps even the title of "Sage."  My values now are centered in all of us getting along, discovering things spiritual together, helping younger generations, to start giving away stuff instead of inquiring it, and quite frankly, to focus more on the environment than I have in the past.  I think I can be both elder/sage in all these things over time, and I can use music in the process along the way.  I think I can use music a lot.

My truest heart's desire . . . to be someone that people can look up to because I will listen to them, and perhaps they can learn something from me through the things I ask them to think about and consider, and as I share my life's experience to them as they come to make their own decisions about life.

I will be writing more about this in the coming weeks ... and how I hope music will play a big part in it all.
 
Oh, and as always . . . God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...