Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Something needs to change . . .

I have been spending time in discussion with different people who I enjoy being around, and/or whose thoughts force me to think and ponder in a deeper way than I normally do. This list include friends who think like I do, and friends who don't so much think as I do. This list includes clergy comrades whose theology I am comfortable being around, and several other clergy who are as polar opposite theologically from me as you can get.

Yes, sometimes I seek discussions with people whose thinking sometimes makes me uncomfortable.

Call me crazy . . . but in the process of communication between myself and others, I learn a lot about myself . . . and these revelations help me to be a better servant-leader and as someone trying to be more true to their faith.

That seems to be important to me right now . . . to learn more about myself . . . how I am "fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139).

A lot of the people that I pastor, counsel, interact with and know feel that something about life needs to change. Describing what it is that needs to be changed is hard to do. However, many of the people I interact with know and believe that there must be a better way for all us to live together.

Some have experienced a trauma in their lives which hurt them deeply, the effects of which still linger to this day. Others feel isolated in regards to their relationships at home, work or school. When counseling, I often here how people begin to suspect there is something bigger going on than just the specific issues which they are facing.

Generally speaking, all seem to sense three changes evident in our culture in terms of relationships with others . . . people dealing people if you will . . .

1) a loss of civility,

2) a rise in violent reactions,

3) and, a need some people have to dominate others.

Is there a relationship between life trauma and the ever growing lack of civility in our culture?

Is there a relationship between the isolation some feel in life and the growing lack of civility in our culture?

Is there a relationship between the need of many to dominate others and the growing lack of civility in our culture?

Many of the people I have spoken with in the past 3 years feel that there must be a better way. Yet, most admit that they lack the insights and experience to approach things differently.

So . . . what to do?

Well, for me . . . it will begin with a re-reading of the New Testament . . . looking at the text through the lens of what Jesus says in response and challenge to the need of goverments, religious leaders, etc., to dominate others.

Perhaps . . . what Jesus says about these things is worth listening to again, and again, and again.

This is going to be big stretch for me . . . this will require some very deep thinking on my part.

And . . . a deep thinker I ain't!

Yet, this is a journey of sorts I feel compelled within the deepest part of my soul to undertake. I have questions, and I want the answers that God has for me about all of this. I pray I will hear them clearly through the words of Jesus.

Ever forward . . . ><>

3 comments:

Mark said...

You present a lot to chew on here. You asked the question, "Is there a relationship between the isolation some feel in life and the growing lack of civility in our culture?"

Definitely...our parents and grandparents, growing up in far worse circumstances than ours (think "Great Depression" and "WWII")nevertheless exhibited more neighborly ties than our current culture. We live closer to each other physically, but not morally or spiritually. We don't need each other because our satellite TVs, computers, ipods and other distractions promise to be our friends. But all this "stuff" leaves us empty and hungry inside, which leads to the frustration and uncivility you mention.

Add to all this mix a general cynicism toward Christianity and younger generations who have no church experience at all....and you have a recipe for a big fat mess.

A lot of these isolated folks are not going to "go to church." So the church somehow needs to go to them. And, of course, many congregations are doing that very thing through neighborhood outreaches, apartment ministries, school programs, etc. But I suspect the majority are not. We Christians must be convinced that we hold the "Word of Life," or we will continue to be friendly little social clubs with a mere religious veneer.

Dr. Dale Schultz said...

Rick,

As a Christian, too, I believe that you’re going to the best source for new insight. Our cultural incivility is a sad reality.

Is it increasing? Perhaps.

It also may appear to increase because we (who are no less part of the culture than anyone else) are slow – if not outright silent – in telling the stories of current expressions of the better side of our shared humanity.

While I know that to extent my observation is anecdotal, I offer it nonetheless: in the United States, presidential election years see an increasing cultural angst during which relationships in general suffer without intentional intervention.

Steve Heyduck said...

Good stuff here, Rick, Mark, and Dale...
Civility is such a big issue, and increasing rarity these days. Reality TV seems to try to do away with it for the sake of drama, therefore ratings, therefore dollars.
Other trends are away from civility.

Yet I continue to be amazed that the more time I spend getting to know another person, the more difficulty I have going off half-cocked with them...

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...