Friday, September 8, 2017

Martin J-40 Acoustic

I have written before about my fondness for Martin Guitars.  I have two Taylor's and I also have two Guild Jumbo's.  But the two guitars I play most often are my Martin J-40 and a D-18 Retro.

When I perform at nursing homes and rehab centers, I am often performing in the community cafeteria or dining room.  Most often, I do not have access to a sound system.  So I do what I do best . . . I project.  I'm a big guy and I have big lungs.  I'm a preacher for crying out loud.  If anyone knows how to project . . . it's a preacher, right!

I needed a gutiar with volume and tone to match.  My Guild Jumbo's do just fine, but they were not giving me the Martin sound that always brings a smile to my face and a joy to my ear and heart.  I knew one day, I would see if acquiring a J-40 would work out.

I've only played two J-40's before coming to own the one I have.  The first was a J-40 owned by a guitar playing friend, Floyd Marshall.  I had never seen or heard of a Martin J-40 before.  After playing Floyd's J-40 during an afternoon jam session at Floyd's house, I befan to wonder why guitar stores didn't often stock them.

The other J-40 in my life was the one owned and played by my late adopted big brother, Joe Laughlin.   He played mostly fingerstyle, and enjoyed playing Travis style on his J-40.  In the picture of Joe (in the right column of this blog page) you will see that he is playing his J-40.  It is probably well over 20+ years old.  When in tune and with good strings, I remember that it sounded magnificent.  I played it last before I packed it up for Joe's wife, Riva, after Joe died.  I haven't seen or played it since.  I think there has been something missing in my life as a result.

It's my dream to acquire Joe's J-40 some day.  Perhaps that time is not far off.  Perhaps it will never happen.  Who's to know?  But I know it would mean the world to me to play something Joe created some wonderful music with.

Martin calls the J-40 a jumbo dreadnaught, but it's not as big as my Guild Jumbo's.  It is very close in size to my Taylor GS.  It's actually a 0000 Martin scale body design.  Mine is naturally loud, but it's also very clear tonally.  The highs, mids and low are very balanced and clear.  I use medium guage phosphor-bronze strings (Martin Lifespan SP's) and Dunlop nylon picks (.73mm).

I love the boominess and bass drive of my Martin D-18. It's a absolutely great guitar.  But all in all, it's my humble opinion that the Martin J-40 is the best all-around guitar that Martin manufactures.  You will notice I am holding and playing my J-40 in the picture at the top of this blog page.  Some will not like a J-40 due to its size. It's not a small guitar.  But for the singer-songwriter in a solo situation, I think it's a guitar that can't be beat.

What is your favorite guitar or other instrument?  Please let me know.  I'd like to interview you about your relationship with your favorite instrument.

CLICK HERE to check out the J-40 on the Martin Guitar website.

God's grace, any my guitars, still amaze me ><>

I       

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...