Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What walking has done for me . . .

I was sad to learn that one of my favorite authors, Colin Fletcher, passed away in 2007. For years I have enjoyed his books, especially The Complete Walker, The Man Who Walked Through Time, The Thousand Mile Summer, and The Winds of Mara.

Colin was a walker / hiker. It was his passion. He was even called the "godfather" of hikers. The Compete Walker (4 editions) is considered by many as the hiker's bible. The Man Who Walked Through Time, which I am currently re-reading, is about his walk through the Grand Canyon. He was the first person to do so walking from the north rim, through the canyon, to the south rim. It took him a little less than two months.

I have always loved the idea of walking . . . but never put much effort into it. Riding a bike was faster. Riding in a car was easier.

The truth is . . . walking isn't very much fun when you are quite-a-bit overweight.

I probably sound like a hypocrite . . . having a subscription to BackPacker Magazine, but never going on hikes.

However, in the process of giving up obesity for Lent this year . . . I realized that dieting by itself would not be a "turn key" way of losing weight and keeping it off.

So, for the past couple of weeks, my wife and I have been going on walks.

Funny thing about walking . . . your senses begin to interpret things much more differently than when you see something as you are speeding down a road in a car.

An example . . . I have been griping for two years that there are no Cardinals in the city we live in. I put out feed and water . . . but no redbirds.

In the city park where we are doing some of our walking . . . I saw over a dozen Cardinals in a 2 mile walk. I also heard the sound of running water in a creek . . . a squirrel run across our path, jumping over my foot to do so. We saw trees that are budding . . . new grass that is growing . . . heard the wind blowing through trees . . . smelled winter coming to an end (hopefully . . . I am keeping my fingers crossed.)

Come to think of it . . . I heard the voice of God . . . and I made about a dozen good decisions about things in my life that needed changing or modification . . .

Wow!

I've ridden a bike in this same park many times in the past two years . . . and never noticed any of these things. Now don't get me wrong . . . I like riding a bike . . . and when I lose a few more pounds I will get back on my bike. But bike riding is about getting so many miles riden in such-and-such a time. Bike riding is about seeing a squirrel crossing your path and thinking, "If that damn squirrel doesn't get out of my way I am going to run him over!"

It's different when you see a squirrel while walking . . . you stop . . . look at the squirrel . . . even start talking to it . . . it's just awesome!

Unless you have a terrible fear of squirrels.

Walking is different than bike riding in another way. Whether you walk fast or slow . . . you are going to get where-you-are-going . . . WHEN YOU GET THERE!!!! That is a profound thought.

Walking is a healthy thing to do. But I think it is also good for my soul. When I walk, I seem to receive inspiration I do not otherwise get when working in my office or traveling in my car to-and-fro to meetings and visits with people.

Walking is slowing down my life, something I have prayed for a long, long time. The pace I normally live is just to fast for me to contemplate what I read in my daily devotions and Bible study, or about the many conversations I have each day with people.

Walking . . . is an answer to prayer!

Walking is helping me sort things out . . . and I have only been doing it for about 2 weeks.

Oh my! What is it going to be like in a month or so???

Ever forward . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...