Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thoughts on H-2-O

Some of you are aware that I gave up obesity for Lent.

Seriously . . .

I've always taught others who ask me "What should I give up for Lent?" to give up something that was keeping them from a closer relationship with God . . .

Or . . . to give up a habit that was, in simplest form and thinking . . . destructive.

So . . . in the attempt to practice what I preach . . . on Ash Wednesday, February 6th, 2008, I gave up obesity in preparation for Easter Sunday.

I've learned a lot.

First (Hooray!) . . . I have lost 24 pounds as of this morning!

Second . . . the secret to dieting is . . . . Water!

Those of you who know me . . . know that I have a seriously destructive appreciation / longing / addiction to Diet Dr. Pepper. Diet Dr. Pepper has caffiene. Getting off caffiene is a serious positive step toward losing weight.

But . . . that means you have to drink water. Yuck!

However . . . a friend of mine, and my wife, both told me to quit drinking ice water.

Quit drinking ice water? Uh . . . as I look around me something becomes very apparant!

I live in TEXAS!

We put ice in our water . . . ice in our tea . . . and lots of people I know even like their coffee iced!!!! Hmmmm . . . that might explain why there is a Starbucks on just about every corner around here.

I like my water iced, because . . . I can't stand the taste of water. I have always added lemon or lime juice to water . . . just to make it palatable.

Enter wife and my friend . . . "Just drink water at room temperature," they said.

"Try it, you'll like it!"

I even got one of those Brita water pitchers for my office.

And . . .

Well, I have to report that I am drinking well over 64 ounces of water a day.

I mean, where has this stuff been all my life???

I am amazed! I wonder what room temperature ice tea tastes like??

Naw . . . this is Texas. I'm not going there!

Ever forward making a joyful noise! ><>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on all the healthy stuff you're doing. Keep it up, and you may live longer than me. Of course, after you go to my funeral and go back to drinking your half gallon of tepid water every day (and going to the bathroom 10 times a day probably), I'll be in heaven with Jesus.

Enjoy!

Rick said...

Put in a good word for me when you get there, OK?

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...