Monday, November 26, 2007

Now, I'm ready for Advent . . .

Except for part of an apple pie that I bought yesterday, all the Thanksgiving leftovers are all gone. Mighty fine eating this year. Turkey, ham, dressing, mashed potatoes, brocolli-rice casserole, mint carrots, pecan and pumpkin pie, and pumpkin-gingerbread trifle.

Went to the 10:10 AM worship service at the church yesterday, and sat in the congregation next to my wife for the first time in a very long while. I was able to worship as a participant instead of being one of the leaders. I did miss doing the children's time.

Spent some time talking to a few relatives and friends on the phone, people I haven't talked to in a while. Catching up and stuff.

The Christmas Tree is up, along with other "inside" house Christmas decorations. I will probably put up the Christmas lights and star on the outside of the house next weekend.

I got a lot of yard and housework done before our Thanksgiving "cold snap" arrived in our area on Thursday. The yard and house look real good.

But most importantly . . . I've been away from my office for 8 days. And as a result, I am ready for Advent.

From now until Christmas Day, there will be very little, if any time off. In the past, when I didn't take Thanksgiving Week off, I would struggle, both physically and emotionally, to make it through to Christmas. This season is very demanding on everyone, but especially on pastors. It is the busiest time of the year at our churches with all the special services to plan and attend, along with numerous Christmas parties. But it is also a busier than normal time for our familes,as we prepare for Christmas Day.

But now, I am rested, and I am ready. I will be able to fully particpate in the Advent journey that leads us to Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I will have everything in its proper perpective . . . and I won't be the "Grinch" I have sometimes been in the past.

I'm better than I deserve. That's a good thing! ><>

4 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

I just quite picture you being a grinch.

Glad your R&R did the trick :o)

Rick said...

I'm German . . . what can I say?

doodlebugmom said...

Is that a bad thing? I am German and Scottish, does that make me a cheap grinch??

Rick said...

I'm more the "complaining" grinch than I am a "cheap" grinch . . . when I am a grinch . . . which is what I am trying to avoid . . . because I don't like being any kind of grinch.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...