Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Commentary from my friend, Floyd . . .

My best friend, Floyd, emailed me this commentary. It is worthy of being shared with our blogging friends.

Dude:

Slight historical error in your latest blog. According to Wikipedia, the compact disc (CD) was introduced in 1982, not 1989. It was on sale in Japan first, by Sony, then to the U.S. the following year. The first commercially released music CD was "The Visitors" by ABBA on 8/17/82.


Stuff that was either too new to be affordable or not yet invented when I was in college: VCR, CD, DVD, DVR, microwaves, personal computers, cell phones, cable tv, satellite TV, MP3's, PDA's, desktop electronic calculators (important to my job), digital cameras, digital watches.

When I was in college, LED watches (remember pushing a button to get the time?)came out and cost 3 times what a Timex costs today, without even adjusting for inflation. There was such a thing as cable TV, but only to replace an outside antenna. You could only get local broadcast stations. When I was in high school, my parents bought me a TI electronic calculator which would add, subtract, multiply, divide, and do square roots. It cost $100.

Floyd


This got me to thinking about something Ken preached in a sermon in October. He asked, "How many products at Best Buy were not even available 20 years ago?"

I bet that list would include about three-fourths of their current inventory!

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

3 comments:

doodlebugmom said...

I think it is cool your friend calls you Dude!

Anonymous said...

Doodlebugmom:

That's not the only thing I call him, but I try to keep it "family friendly" for the blog!

floyd

Rick said...

I remember once when I saw a picture of Floyd taken back in his college days . . . long hair and playing a Martin guitar . . . I think I called him "Stud."

The names I refer to Floyd with sometimes are more or less reminders of the qualities he brings to our friendship:

Dependable . . .
Consistent . . .
Caring . . .
Compassionate . . .

But in the end . . . I just call him "Dude," or just plain "Friend."

His friendship is a blessing to me.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...