Thursday, October 3, 2013

Our Seniors need you . . .

Ok, this is a request for help.  The request comes in a minute.  First some info.

I was reading the other day.   It seems that the US Census Bureau is projecting that in the year 2025 (when I will be a young 68 years old) that the number of adults in the US over the age of 65 will outnumber all the children aged 6 and younger in our country.

This will be the first time in the history of our nation that this has happened.  But hold on.

The US Census Bureau is also projecting that in 2050 (when I will be 93 years old, and hopefully still playing guitar) that the number of adults over 65 will outnumber all the children and teens aged 18 and  younger.

Again, for the first time in our nations history.

Lately, I've been noticing a lot of new senior retirement centers under construction in our area.   I sing at 2 similar facilities on a regular basis.  I also provide community ministry to adults who live in the community funded housing next door to our church.  Most of them are seniors.  I visit in retirement and nursing homes.

Guess who the residents are.  Mostly seniors.

I did some more checking, and in reality only about 5% of all senior adults aged 65 and older live in retirement or nursing homes.

That's really not many.  Some receive great care, and value for the money they spend.  Sadly, many do not.

FYI . . . there are those who will say to me, "Rick, you get paid by your church to sing and visit in these places."

Yes, that is true . . . but what I do go far beyond doing it because it's part of my job.

Finally . . . the request . . . or maybe it's an appeal . . .

Please consider what you can do to volunteer ANY TALENT you have at a senior retirement center, assisted living center, or in a nursing home.  The Activity / Life Enrichment Directors who work in such places need help.  They are mostly young and some are even a joy to work with . . . enthusiastic and passionate about helping improve the quality of life of the residents.  They often have limited budgets to work with . . . and they have to stretch their resources as far as they can.

I help by singing and playing guitar.   I help by providing worship services on site once a month.  I go when I can to sit and visit and talk . . . but mostly I listen to people reflect back on the successes and failures of their lives.  Good and bad times.  Fond memories and deep regrets.

They are people who deserve to be appreciated and valued.

So, what can you do?

My singing schedule posted on this blog (look to the right-hand column) is usually up to date.  If you would like to join me when I sing for Senior Adults, please let me know.

If you would like info on how/who to contact in your area to volunteer your services, then send me and email.  I will be glad to help you work up an introduction letter, cards, song set list . . . whatever I can offer counsel about.

God's graces till amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...