Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Getting some music reading in . . .

We are starting a church-wide study on January 10th of "The Hole in Our Gospel" by Richard Stearns.

So, before plunging into that great book again . . . I wanted to get some music reading done.

Just finished the auto-biography "Chet Atkins: Me and My Guitars" (2003 - Hal Leonard Publishing),
Anyone knows who is well aware . . that I "play" guitar.

Or rather, I play "at" the guitar. I am not a guitarist . . . I am a guitar player. I want to become a guitarist . . . and I am working harder at playing the guitar than I ever have before.

Titles, it seems, are given to you by others. "Guitarist" is title I have to earn.

Chet was a great "guitarist," whose style and type of playing inspired several generations of "fingerstyle" guitar players . . . myself being a late entry into that group of players.

My strength is blue grass and folk style rythym guitar playing with a flat pick . . . and I ain't half-bad if I do say so myself.

Finger-style guitar playing . . . heck, I am a rank amateur at best . . . a mere beginner . . . a baby in diapers . . . (I am sure you have the appropriate, or inappropriate mental picture now).

This book has lots of great pictures, and Chet's own words about his life, career, and about the many guitars he played. It is an inspiring book.
If you like guitars, then you can only love this book. I sent a copy as a Christmas gift to my friends Joe and Riva Laughlin. Joe, a guitarist, has taught me much of what I know about playing guitar. Chet is one of his guitar heroes.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

1 comment:

Riva said...

Rick - do I need to worry that we haven't received this book yet?

Riva

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...