Monday, January 18, 2010

UMC related deaths in Haiti a shock to us all . . .

Word was received as late as this past Saturday, that 3 United Methodist's, one a church member at Highland Park UMC in Dallas, and the other two had been serving on the executive level of UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) had died as a result of injuries they sustained during the recent earthquake in Haiti.

The joy of a bright Monday morning is dimmed somewhat by this news.

I wanted to put down some words . . . only to find that it is a struggle to do so. Instead, I want to direct you to the words posted by my friend and ministerial collegue, Rev. Eric Folkert.

Click here to go to his blog.

Eric was a long-time associate pastor at HPUMC in Dallas, and set up their mission trips to Haiti, having gone many times himself. His words are worth your read. The families of those whose lives have been lost . . . could use your prayers.

Despite it all . . . God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

1 comment:

When EF Talks said...

Thanks for this, Rick. It's still all pretty unbelievable. Jean Arnwine's memorial service is today. For clarification, I didn't set up the whole ministry....it was started way back in 1976. But I was fortunate enough to be involved for five trips, including re-establishing the clinic after a five-year hiatus during the military coup of the 90s.

I have spoken with several of the clinic survivors and have revised and expanded this entry to reflect a few of their stories.

They are the real heroes of my life.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...