Tuesday, April 1, 2008

10,000 steps a day . . . are you kidding me???

Ordered an Omron Pedometer through Amazon.com. One of our church members, whose advice about health I listen very carefully to, advised me it was about the best unit you can get for the price.

So . . . I am dieting (lower carb, nothing white except caulifower) . . .

So . . . I am exercising (walking when I can in the evening and hiking w/ backpack on Saturday mornings) . . .

And now I have this gnawing thought in my mind, "Just how many steps do I take a day? And . . . is that number enough??"

Then I found out that the goal for the number of steps it takes, with dieting, to achieve optimal health results . . . is 10,000 steps a day.

Let's see, figuring the length of my stride is several inches less than 3 feet . . . divide the number of feet in a mile by my stride length . . . divide 10,000 by that number, and . . .

Hmmmm . . . my goal for optimal health by diet and walking . . . is to walk slightly less than 6 miles a day (regular daily walking at work + walking for exercise).

A year ago, I would have been scared by all this. Today . . . it's the start of a new adventure.

I'm through with a boring physical, emotional, mental and spiritual life. It's time for a challenge.

Ever forward . . . ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

I was thinking I would pick up one of the $1 ones at the checkout at Walmart, not the best choice?

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...