Wednesday, April 23, 2008

For all you H2O drinkers out there . . .

Nalgene to Phase Out Production of Consumer Bottles Containing BPA . . .

Water is a wonderful gift from God. We can't live without it.

Water is also, as I am learning, a key to losing weight. 128 ounces a day is the goal I was told to aim for. That's four 32 oz. bottles of water a day.

Most of us who drink lots of water and love the outdoors know about Nalgene water bottles. Bulletproof, crushproof, they don't leak, and they come in the color of your choice. However, the clear hard plastic version contains a chemical called BPA, which may leach out of the plastic into the water you drink, with possible medical harm.

So, in a proactive move . . . Nalgene is phasing out BPA from their water bottle line. REI, Wal-Mart and other retailers around the country have voluntarily removed the BPA bottles . . . the clear plastic ones with the number "7" in the triangle on the bottom of the bottle.

I'm an REI member, and just received an email from one of their on-line customer service people that the Nalgene bottles I purchased at REI can either be exchanged, or they will give me a refund.

I can really appreciate and applaud businesses who don't hide problems, but are proactive in addressing them out of a concern for the safety of their customers. I enjoy doing business with companies whose core values are ones I share and appreciate.

Ever forward . . . ><>

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your pictures testify to the success of whatever you are doing to lose weight, and I can certainly see how water can help. If you drink a full gallon of water every day, you'll not only get lots of exercise running to the bathroom, but you may not even have time to eat!

Rick said...

Rats, now my secret is out!

doodlebugmom said...

I am one of the bad guys that just refills my bad-for-the-environment bottled water that I bought at the gas station!

Steve Heyduck said...

Good for Nalgene! And thanks to Rick for sharing this. Rachel and I already bought stainless steel water bottles from kleankanteen.com

Rick said...

Last Friday, I took the Nalgene bottles back to REI that I had purchased back in March, and exchanged them for regular white water bottles. Took back two, and brought home 4!

I still have two of the clear plastic Nalgene. I have "recycled" one into a new first aid kit for my big back pack. Holds everything Liz and I need first aid wise for a day hike. The other one is now my "kitchen" container, holding cutlery and cooking utensils we use when we hike. Darn things are lightweight, and pretty much bullet-proof.

The stainless steel bottles . . . how many ounces do they hold?

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...