Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Favorite songs . . .

I've noticed that several of my blogging friends are posting info about their "Top 5" favorites in various topics.

I thought I would try my hand . . . with a list of my favorite songs.

I only recently discovered Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole, the late Hawaiian singer and ukulele player. His recording of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What A Wonderful World" is my #1 favorite song, and probably has been since the first time I heard the song when watching the ending to the Adam Sandler movie, 50 First Dates.

Israel, who was affectionately known as "Brudda Iz" had a gifted voice . . . so smooth . . . and every time I hear this song . . . I usually start crying. And that's not a bad thing. Sometime later on, maybe with my friend Floyd's help (he is good at this stuff) I will figure out what the sacred connection is in this.

Iz died in 1997 at the age of 38. He was only the 3rd person in history to ever lie in state at the Hawaiian state capital building. Since his death, his acclaim and fan base has grown throughout the entire world.

I am sad that I only discovered this great talent after his death. But a talent he was . . . and still is . . . especially to me.

Maybe it's time to start saving for a ukulele as well. What a simple but beautiful sounding instrument.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude:

So what are the other 4 songs?

Rick said...

Dude,

Ah ha, my dear friend . . . you have to wait for the truly good stuff.

More to come soon!

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...