Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Favorite Songs - #4 of 5

My #1 favorite song is Somewhere Over the Rainbow / What A Wonderful World - Israel Kamakawiwo'Ole.

My #2 favorite song . . . Walk Away - Joe Walsh and the James Gang.

My #3 favorite song . . . Closer to Home - Grand Funk Railroad.

My #4 favorite song . . . Leader of the Band, by the late Dan Fogelberg.

A singer/songwriter sharing his feelings of appreciation in song . . . a Martin D-41 dreadnaught guitar . . . and you have Dan Fogelberg on stage singing Leader of the Band.

The passion of this song is so deep, more so than I could ever personally write or sing. Maybe I will be able to one day, I really hope so, and I'm working on it . . . but not right now. There are still a few things I need to personally work through.

This song does raise a good question that each of us should ask ourselves as often as possible. What are we the "living legacy" of in our lives? I wonder, in truth, if most people even think like this anymore. I think we used to . . . back when tried purposefully to see the good in others . . . instead of immediately focusing on the bad.

This song also offers haunting advice about something we should give to our loved ones . . . permission to dream a big dream, then permission and support for their trying to reach for it. I wonder what kind of world we would have today if we each could be supported in becoming who we are really called to be . . . by the deep passions in our life . . . and by God. I think we each deal with the expectations on our lives of many people . . . and that can place a lot of demands on our time and focus if we let it. This no doubt occurs in stages as we age. But isn't life being able to say from our heart . . . "I am who I am".

Great song . . . a haunting melody and harmony. So simple . . . yet so profound in terms of its message to us all. This will always be a top 5 song for me.

I'm better than I deserve! ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...