Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oh . . . on another health note . . .

I got my new CPAP machine and mask yesterday morning. Oh, I slept very well last night. Got up at 6 PM, showered and got ready for the day . . . and have hit the ground running every since.

The most common symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) include:

-Excessive daytime sleepiness, which is falling asleep when you normally should not, such as while you are eating, talking, or driving.

-Waking with an unrefreshed feeling after sleep, having problems with memory and concentration, feeling tired, and experiencing personality changes.

-Morning or night headaches. About half of all people with sleep apnea report headaches.

-Heartburn or a sour taste in the mouth at night.

-Swelling of the legs if you are obese.

-Getting up during the night to urinate (nocturia).

-Sweating and chest pain while you are sleeping.

Symptoms of sleep apnea that others may notice include:

-Episodes of not breathing (apnea), which may occur as few as 5 times an hour (mild apnea) to more than 50 times an hour (severe apnea). How many episodes you have a night determines the severity of your apnea.

-Loud snoring. Almost all people who have sleep apnea snore, but not all people who snore have sleep apnea.

-Restless tossing and turning during sleep.

-Nighttime choking or gasping spells.


I knew I was not resting well, and my memory and concentration really suffered. My lack of concentration this past year is what prompted me to go talk to my doctor. What has changed most in my life . . . through treatment for sleep apnea, has been the character change. I used to not be very nice . . . to anyone. Thank God those days are gone.

In other words, untreated sleep apnea will keep you from being the person you are supposed to be . . . and it will rob you of the peace, joy and happiness that comes from life, family and work.

If you know you have any of these symptoms . . . or others have told you that you have them . . . then please discuss it with your primary physician.

I did, for a 2nd time, and I am doing better than I deserve! That's a good thing! ><>

1 comment:

doodlebugmom said...

I am glad you got your new machine and that you are sleeping better.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...