Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Goodbye . . . Dan Fogelberg

Singer/songwriter Dan Fogelberg died in the early morning on Sunday, December 16th. His song, Leader of the Band, is one of my top 5 favorite songs.

Back in the middle 70's, I discovered the music of Dan Fogelberg, John Denver, Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Croce . . . all who wrote such wonderful music, with such great lyrics. Each of them featured acousitc guitar in their muisc. Although I love electric guitar, there is just something hauntingly beautiful about acoustic guitar, that I still appreciate.

I am a romantic at heart, and all four of these men wrote songs that touched my heart where ever I was in my life. I sing songs by Dan, John and Gordon, and will be learning JIm's song "Operator" in the near future.

Dan, John and Jim all died before their time. Gordon has recovered from serious illness and is touring again on a limited schedule. I knew in my heart that all four of them had a connection to life and living that I have worked my entire life to better understand and appreciate. I think I've tried too hard. Music is such a simple thing, really. So tender, so comforting, so appealing to the spiritual fire in our souls.

But music is much more than notes on a musical scale. It is most often a message, that for some reason can't be stated with words alone. Music is often a cry for action . . . because it translates the emotion that words themselves sometimes fail to share. Music is the core of my soul . . . and I know now in where and who I am, that music was supposed to have been my life purpose.

But I yeilded to satisfying the wishes of others instead. How I yearn for a 2nd chance that will never come my way again.

Dan died of the complications from severe prostate cancer.

Guys . . . if you are 50 or over . . . get checked. Now!

The leader of the band is tired, and his eyes are growing old . . .
But his blood runs through my instrument, and his song is in my soul . . .

I'm sad these days . . . but I am better than I deserve. ><>

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

They always play it this time of year - seems more appropriate than ever...

"Just for a moment I was back in school,
And felt that old familiar pain,
And as I turned to make my way back home,
The snow turned into rain."

- "Same Old Auld Lang Syne"
Dan Fogelberg

doodlebugmom said...

I was sad when I read about his death too. His music will live on, what a great legacy he left all of us.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...