Sunday, December 8, 2013

The weather did us in . . .

Well, we were ready for our Christmas house concert last night . . .

I mean, we were really ready!

However, a freak Texas ice storm this past Thursday night and Friday, and temperatures in the 20's for 4 straight days, left the area with 2-3 inches of ice and most major freeways closed or pretty messed up until this afternoon.

We got word late Friday that the event was cancelled.

A good decision.  I'm 56, and one of the youngest guys in the band.  Most wouldn't have made it.

It was a paying good too . . .  they were going to feed us.  Yeah . . . that's right. If we get fed, it's considered a paying gig.

And the food at this gig would have been mighty fine, indeed.  Shame.

Still pretty bad this morning.  I was told that the parking lot at the Downtown Campus was a skating rink.  We only had 45 in worship at one service at 11 AM, and my wife and I didn't make it.  I live 7 miles from the church, and with two bad knees, I don't slip and slide as athletically as I used to.

The weather also caused the cancellation of our 77th Annual Christmas Candlelighting Service this evening.  80+ participants . . . roads are just too bad in various parts of the community.  I hope we can reschedule this service to later this week.  More info to come about this soon.

Liz and I did get out this afternoon, after scraping the ice off the driveway.  Manageable, but you had to drive carefully.  Tomorrow should be pretty navigable driving wise, so I'm sure the gig at Dancing River is still a go.

Texas weather . . . wait 5 minutes and it will change.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...