Tuesday, April 10, 2012

What's in a name?

For only the 3rd time in the past 6 years of this blog, I am changing the name . . . well, for a while at least.

The first name was "Maker of a Joyful Noise."

Then, "Rick Mang Music (RM2)."

And now . . . "Rick's Songbag!"

Why the change?

Well, I just ordered a copy of Carl Sandburg's book, The American Songbag. Not only was Sandburg a great poet, but he was also a noted collector and performer of American folk music, compiling in his life the words and music to 290 songs sung by Americans over many years.

I am starting to compile my own list of folk songs and such, as I work up a music set of "family friendly " songs for some future local singing engagements I hope to take part in. So, I thought I would document some of my research here . . . thus the name to "Rick's Songbag!"

I know, I know, you wish you would have thought of it first, no??

All kidding aside, this past year of grieving the loss of my co-worker and friend, Ken Diehm, has taught me a lot about myself, especially the things I hold as being important. A fruit of this journey has been how easy it has become for me to say "NO!" to all the things that aren't important to me, things that take away my precious time.

A painful journey, but a good journey, one that I am glad I put the effort into.

So, I am becoming more focused again on my ministry at FUMC-Grapevine. I am going to resume singing at 3 area nursing homes again in the next month. I will continue to provide Therapeutic Music Entertainment as a volunteer at Hugworks, singing to children in area hospitals as my schedule allows. I will post those dates and locations on the blog.

And, I am going to develop my own personal list/set/catalog of my favorite "family friendly" songs, and continue to help children, youth and adults learn to sing together.

Time to put some more songs into my songbag!

God's grace, and the power of songs, still amaze me . . . ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...