Skip to main content

Have guitar . . . will travel . . . hopefully . . .

Have guitar will travel???

Well, hopefully . . . depending if my schedule permits.

Speaking of my schedule, I have been getting a few more invitations to community type gigs. And my reaction is that I am truly honored!! That is probably why I try very hard to honor as many requests as my personal and ministry calendar will allow.

I guess I am saying, "Please keep asking me to sing!" Sometimes I can say "yes," and sometimes I can say "no." It's hard to tell a family you are doing a funeral for, or a couple whose wedding you are presiding over, that you need to go sing instead . . . But I do appreciate being asked, and I will often try to help the group find someone else if I can't make it.

Later this month, I am going out to Bridgeport to sing and speak at a United Methodist Men's retreat another church is having. I was their 1st choice! Mercy, an honor to be sure!!!!

People do ask, knowing that I am a full-time pastor at a large church, just what music events I can help with as my schedule allows. Below is a short list:

-I can provide a music program for nursing and retirement homes. I fit in really well . . . since I am not that far from living in one myself.

-I can sing in hospitals to children, which I do through my association with Hugworks (www.hugworks.org).

-I sing for as many VBS and church camps each summer as I can fit into my schedule. I just "LIVE" for VBS. Call me as early in the spring as possible to see if I am available. I can't do one every week . . . but I can sometimes fit a couple VBS events into a month if they are "local,' especially if they are in the morning.

-I can provide music entertainment for RV Parks, Campgrounds and at BSA events, with advanced scheduling. I am going to get to go to Philmont Scout Ranch in September to serve as chaplain and song leader at a training event there. A "to-do" list item I thought had passed me by. I am usually out at the Vineyards Campground in Grapevine for an outside concert a couple of times during the summer.

-I can sing for civic group meetings and events, schools, and events at other churches. Texas folk music and folklore is a hobby of mine. I enjoy providing programs for Rotary, Lions Club, etc.

-I can sing for weddings, but far more often I am invited to sing at graveside services and funerals in the DFW area. This is a special passion of mine, for reasons I am not quite sure of myself.

-Schedule permitting, I am available to sing at dinner events, restaurants, house concerts and sing-a-longs of various types . . . including serving as the Master of Ceremonies.

For more info or to check my calendar, send me an email.

Music and God's grace still amaze me daily . . . ><>

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuning a baritone uke to G-C-E-A ??

Well I'll be . . . it can be done.
If you didn't know, I use Aquila Nylgut Ukulele strings on my tenor and baritone ukes. Best sounding uke strings out there in my humble opinion.
I love my Kala tenor uke . . . but I've got such big bo-honking fingers, and the frets on a tenor uke are not exactly large . . . I can really only play chords on the first 5 frets.
Then one day a while back, I noticed on the package that Aquila makes a Baritone set tuned to G-C-E-A, just like my tenor. A baritone uke is usually tuned like the bottom 4 strings of a guitar . . . D-G-B-E.
Well, I jumped in and ordered a couple of sets. And . . . they work . . . at least to me. Now, I am not by any means a uke "purist." They are the "tools" I use as instruments when I sing certain songs. Restrung with the new strings, the Kala baritone is about as loud as my tenor . . . but with a little deeper sound. Some may not like it . . . but I do, especially as I work to learn the names of…

Singing to Senior Adults: #4 - Giving older adults the chance to experience emotion through music

Part 1 - Getting your foot in the door to sing to senior adults
Part 2 - Treat the first ttime to sing to senior adults as an audition.
Part 3 - The basic equipment you need to bring with you.
Part 4 - Giving senior adults the chance to experience emotion through music.
Part 5 - The "Do's and Don'ts" when singing to senior adults.

Singing for Senior Adults opens a wide variety of musical choices.

But sooner or later, you are going to sing a song that someone in the audience identifies with on a deeply emotional basis.  Please . . . consider letting them have that moment.

For some seniors, it may be a very happy memory of a day gone by, and the tears you see are reflective and contemplative tears of joy.

For others, it may be an unhappy memory.  But a memory they are none-the-less willing to feel the pain of again as a way of grieving.

I like to sing the old Pete Seeger song, "Kisses Sweeter Than Wine."  The last verse is about preparing for death . . . and the …

Would you life to share the story about your favorite musical instrument?

What is your favorite guitar or other musical instrument?  Please let me know.  I'd like to interview you about your relationship with your favorite instrument.

I am interested in talking with, and getting to know, everyday people who make music.  That's the kind of person I am.  I'm an everyday kind of guy, and I love to sing and play guitar for everyday people. 

Although I have too many guitars, several ukes, a couple of old banjo's, a bunch of harmonicas and several Native American flutes, I am interested in stories about other instruments as well.  I have it in my mind that this blog will probably feature more stories about guitars and singer-songwriters.  However, I am open to stories about people and their love for other instruments.  So, if you play the accordion, piano, pennywhistle, drums . . . or can crack your knuckles in time to music . . . I want to hear your story.

All inquiries from interested, or from the curious as well, can be sent to revrickmang@gm…