Monday, April 5, 2010

A prayer finally answered . . .

5 years ago, because of a grant I received, along with the generosity of two good friends,  I acquired a Martin DC-16GTE guitar from Heart of Texas Music in Temple, TX.  It was the first really good guitar I had ever owned in my life to that point.  

My guitar playing began to improve dramatically as a result . . . the Martin was set up correctly, it was fun to play, and had that awesome Martin sound I have come to love so much.

I began longing to improve as a player . . . and took the matter to God in prayer.

My prayer centered on someone, I imagined it was someone older, coming to see me and saying, "I understand you play guitar."

"Yes, sir . . . at least I try to play the guitar."

"OK, show me what you got."

With that, I would take out my Martin, and then play and sing some songs.  When finished, I imagined my new friend saying, "I play guitar also, let me give your Martin a whirl."

With that, he would take my guitar, and play so well that it would blow me away.

Then, my prayer was that I would hear my new friend say these words, "Boy, you finally ready to learn how to play and sing?"

"Yes sir!"

I think my prayer may have finally been answered.

This past Friday, Good Friday as a matter of fact, I submitted my application to enter the apprentice/intern theraputic music performance certification program through Hugworks.org.

Friend and fellow UMC pastor, Jim Newton, is the founder and president of Celebration Shop/Hugworks, a ministry which provides theraputic music performance to children in hospitals all over the county, as well as music therapy at their ministry office in Hurst.  

The program will take me about 6 months to a year to complete.  It requires a vocal and instrumental audition and learning 20-30 songs. It includes instrumental and vocal coaching by Jim and his partner Paul Hill, along with peer group participation, and singing under supervision as several area hospitals.

I think I am getting ready to learn a lot about singing, and about playing the guitar.

And . . . I know I am ready.

Thank you God, for answered prayer.  

God's grace still amazes me . . .  ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...