Monday, April 26, 2010

In memory of Mr. Floyd Dakil

I recently shared that I got meet one of my musical heroes, Mr. Noel Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary fame. That was a great day. I had goosebumps on my arms.

I heard yesterday that another of my heroes and friends . . . a mighty fine man and a great guitar player, Mr. Floyd Dakil, died over the weekend. And I had to admit that I had to sit down after hearing the news. And I had to wipe a tear or two away as well.

That's life . . . with ups and downs . . . goosebumps and tears . . .

Floyd was the best electric guitar player I ever got to hear, and see play. He had a long professional music career, with both ups and downs, all beginning in Dallas, TX years ago with his hit record, "Dance, Franny, Dance." Other records and gigs followed over the years. He had come back home to the D-FW area several years ago.

He sat in with us several times at our community jam sessions on Thursday evenings at the Grapevine Antique Mall. He also played lead guitar for our 1st Church String Band at a couple of our concerts.

He was a fixture at the Grapevine Antique Mall here in Grapevine, where he taught guitar lessons. He was one of the best guitar teachers. He gave me a couple of lessons . . . and a ton of encouragement.

At our jam sessions or rehearsals, he would sometimes stop us to offer a word of how to do something a little different, or to help adjust our tempo. I have to admit, that our best sound, both vocally and instrumentally, came after Floyd took time to work with us. I hope, now, that we all thanked him enough.

He will be missed by family and friends, and by the guys in our 1st Church String Band.

I will miss him very much.

In the midst of sorrow and grief, God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...