Friday, May 9, 2014

New venue on my schedule

If you read my schedule, you quickly deduce that I sing, most of the time, for senior citizens.

I am very glad to do it.  I am honored to do it. 

I am blessed to serve a church where my singing and guitar playing is recognized as an important part of my ministry.  I have to manage my singing schedule carefully. Very carefully.  

All the locations I perform for understand that I may have to call in and cancel or reschedule because of other ministry demands that come my way, which I have to treat with greater priority.  They understand.  

Again, I am blessed.

I sing at the Atria in Grapevine, on the 1st Monday of the month, because our church has had an almost 9 year relationship with them.  

I sing at Dancing Rivers in Grapevine, on the 2nd Monday of the month, because 5-6 of our church members now reside there.  

I sing at South Colleyvine Ranch in Grapevine on the 3rd Monday of the month, because 8-10 church members who reside there, plus a lot of Methodist folk who we have adopted.  This is a pretty active bunch!   I have been a part of South Colleyvine Ranch since it opened a little less that 9 years ago.   I also get to lead a little worship service for them on the 2nd Thursday of the month in the late afternoon.

And now, I will be singing at Meadow Wood in Grapevine, a brand new senior adult retirement community.  One of our members now resides there, and she is very, very dear to me.  In fact, she already told the staff I would be coming to sing.  This place is so new. . . that there are only 8 current residents in a facility that can hold well over 100.   I will go for my "test performance" next Wednesday. After that, we will probably schedule Meadow Wood for the 4th Monday of the month.

I'm excited.  

As I get older . . . 57 years old on May 7th (I thought I was 58 until my wife asked me to the do the math!!!!!) . . . I find myself being unable, in an way, to resist going down a path that may lead to a greater focus, and perhaps even certification, in senior adult ministry.   Let's face it . . . the number of senior adults, who are healthy, have time and resources to help accomplish great things, is on a steady increase.  So much so, that in 2050, the number of adults aged 65+ are expected to outnumber all the children and teens between the ages birth - 18 years old!!!  When this happens, it will be for the first time in the history of our country.

As some may be aware, I am participating in a project with Hugworks.org as they move toward providing therapeutic music resources to senior adults in a unique way, similar to how they have been providing therapeutic music resources to children in hospitals all over the country for the past 35 years. 

I look forward to doing what I can . . . even more so when the time comes that I can retire, and focus my time, talents and resources on something that I really believe in . . . that becomes a more intentionally focused part of my ministry.

It is good to have something to believe in, especially when it helps people with a way to share mercy, grace and compassion to others.   Thank God for the church, my ministry, and how music plays an important part.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...