Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Bullet Journal

I have been using the Bullet Journal method for several months now.  For more information on this analog style method, please check out www.bulletjournal.com.

I'm just using it as a way to keep track of my tasks, notes and ideas all in one place.  That place for me is a lined regular sized Moleskine journal ($18).

I've spent years working out of various notebooks and also using various electronic smart devices.  I made the jump about 10 years ago to keeping my calendar on Outlook, which links to my phone.  All good!  As long as I have my iPhone when away from my office at the church, then I can have immediate access to my calendar and email.

So far, my keeping everything in one notebook using the Bullet Journal method is working nicely.

I have embraced digital in many ways in my life.  All my music and recording stuff is on my iPad.  My iPad is the main component of my little portable home studio along with an iRig iMic.  I'm into digital cameras.  In fact, I have mostly used my iPhone for many of the pictures I take.

One thing that just did not work for me was keeping my task list and notes in Outlook.  It was just to jumbled

I've tried to use just about every kind of paper/notebook based planner that's out there, spending a bunch of money in the process.  I never found a system that supported how I think and create.  

After two months, I have come to the conclusion that using a journal / analog method like the Bullet Journal system for tasks and notes has had a positive effect on my . . .

Wait for it . . . Wait for it . . .

My memory!!!   Yep, I said it.  It is helping me remember more details about things.

I don't know about you, but when I get an idea . . . I have to write it down.  When ideas go into one notebook . . . and that notebook is back in the office, well, goodbye idea.  That's happened to me so many times.

I've also enjoyed personalizing the system with a few quirks that suit me personally.  It's sorta hard to make some one else's system your system.   You can do just about anything in a journal.  One thing I am going to do for June is draw out an actual calendar for the month on two facing pages, and list my big events and meetings on it instead of listing the month on one page.  Again, my main calendar is the digital one.  But major events on a paper copy helps me to plan.

So . . . after two months, so far so good!   

I do feel obligated to say that the Bullet Journal analog system might well suit a lot of folks who still want or like to use pen, pencil and good quality paper.  Personally, I like writing with a nice ball-point pen (Oh how I loathe ink gel pens!!!) on good quality paper.  I always have and I always will.  

However, others thing and work better digitally.  For people who need access to tasks and notes through search tools, or who depend on the Cloud, or who have gone all digital, this system will not be for you.  In fact, you would probably hate it.  You will probably see it as a  time waster.

Good for you!

For this 57 year old dreamer and doodler . . . I like it.  I wish I had discovered this many years ago.  I'd have that Martin D-41 by now if I had, just in the saving of money spent on Day Timers and gadgets.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...