Monday, October 17, 2011

I unpacked the old Kasuga Tenor Banjo . . .

John Mollet, our senior pastor here at FUMC-Grapevine, gave me a Bela Fleck and Flecktones CD yesterday. He saw Bela and friends in concert this past weekend.

Seriously, what is there not to like about John!!!!

What ever style music Bela and the band plays, bluegrass-fusion-jazz . . . it's just awesome. The Flecktones are an incredible band. Each musician is as skilled on their instruments as Bela is on the banjo.

Now I am inspired!!!!

Mercy, when I have said that before, it always tends to cost me money.

So, I dug around my office here at the church and pulled out my old Kasuga 4-string tenor banjo. Needs a little bit of neck work, and I need to spring for new tuners.

Truth is, I haven't played my banjo here at FUMC-Grapevine, ever if I recall. I used to play this a lot back in the 1990's when I was the senior associate at FUMC-Waco. Played it every Sunday as a matter of fact. Moved to Godley, and then to Hewitt, and started playing more guitar.

A tenor banjo, at least the way I play it (Chicago style tuning / D-G-B-E) the strings are tuned to the bottom four strings of a guitar. Same with the bariton ukulele.

So, I am pretty much fingering guitar chords on all the instruments I play. Does tend to make things easier.

Guess I am going to take the old Kasuga over to Bill White at Grapevine Guitar Works for a once over.

The story . . . will continue . . . somehow, somewhere.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...