Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What to expect when you ask me to sing . . .

Lately, I've been getting an increased number of invitations to sing. That's a good thing.

First, when you call or email me, I have to check my church and personal calendars. Obviously, as a full-time senior associate pastor of a larger and growing church, I have to give priority to already scheduled events and meetings. However, sometimes things can be re-arranged.

If the calendars are open, and I can get to your venue without lengthy travel . . . it's probably something I can do.

Second, I am primarily an acoustic guitar player. I am going to arrive with either a Guild jumbo 12-string or 6-string . . . usually with both. I have a Fishman Loudbox amp and all the little accessories that make it work well. In many venues, all I use is a podium mic, as often that is all that is needed. In nursing homes or in hospitals, I do not use a mic or amp. A softer approach for these venues is more appropriate.

Third, I will tailor the program to your needs. Obviously, in hospitals and nursing homes, I am going to sing songs from my Theraputic Music Entertainment catalog. Probably in school and after-school settings as well. At parks, campgrounds, community and church events, etc., I can provide music from the 60's and 70's, classic rock, some classic country, a whole lot of folk music, gospel, campfire songs, etc.

Fourth, I can be the lead for the program, or provide music support for the main speaker.

Fifth, I come professionally dressed. Usually a black shirt with khaki pants or nice jeans. I will wear a colored shirt for the kids. My appearance will be appreciated by audiences of all ages, especially an older crowd.

Sixth, I am a professional. I repeat, I am a professional. It's not about me. It's all about entertaining those I have been invited to sing to. I come prepared, will do many of the songs from memory, others sung out of a notebook. I don't use any suggestive actions or language. But I do engage the audience, and I am very good at getting people of all ages to sing with the songs.

With me, music makes a difference!

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...