Thursday, January 27, 2011

Simon and Garfunkel - America . . .

I actually had a few minutes today to wax nostalgic . . . and went to YouTube to see if I could find and "older" Simon and Garfunkel singing " America." Mostly because it is a song I am adding to my personal performance catalog.

OK, I knew what I was looking for . . . because I had seen this show when it came on several years ago. Two gifted singers, a Martin guitar . . . and the absolute silence of the audience.

Can it get any better?

One of my struggles as a singer/guitarist is to discover the different ways to play a guitar so as not to overshadow the vocals. In my mind, I am a singer first, and play at guitar to support my singing. Here, Paul and Art remind us all the same thing that the late Floyd Dakil shared with me once during a guitar lesson I had with him. He told me that as far as guitar goes for every song, that . . . "Less is more."

God's grace, and good music . . . still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...