Saturday, December 8, 2018

A book that contnues to make a difference in my life . . .

I will be the first to admit that I am more of a "jack of many trades" kind of guy rather than a "master" of anything.

One of my frustrations over the years has been how to keep things in my life organized:  church events and projects, music projects, family activities and responsibilities, travel plans, notes, etc.

I've purchased and used many different organizers:  DayTimer, Franklin Covey, My-Tyme . . . they are all great planners, but never seemed to keep me organized in the way I thought I should, or rather could be.

Several years ago, I can across Ryder Carroll's "Bullet Journal" webpage (www.bulletjournal.com).  His method seemed to resonate with me . . . and 7 plus years later, I've gone through almost a dozen Moleskine or Leuchtturn Journals.

However, something still seemed to be missing.  It ended up being my understanding of a system.

Ryder recently published his book, The Bullet Journal Method.   Folks, if you are like me, that "jack of many trades" sorta person . . . who has their hands, and interests in many subjects, this just might be the book you should read.

On my shelf in my office is a small grouping of books that have really resonated with me.  You know, the books that you regularly re-read every year or so because they mean that much to you.  They bless you.  The Bullet Journal Method is the first book on that shelf now.  It has helped me to understand how to better and more appropriately focus, and most importantly, how to keep track of all my projects and all my ideas . . . especially to determine if they are worth my time to develop, or if they are really nothing more than a distraction.

Ok, I will admit it, I am drawn to bright lights and shiny new things.  I will start a new adventure by making a big financial investment getting "everything I need to do it right" and end up wasting my money and time because it didn't turn out to be what I wanted, or needed to to.   Ryder addresses this carefully in his book, and it is blessing me.

I don't have it all down yet, but I am finally keeping all my life in ONE journal.  My Traveller's Notebooks are quietly stored away now.  My collection of Field Notes is boxed up.  My new journal for 2019 is at the ready on my desk.

For the first time is several years . . . I honestly feel productive, and on top of the important things in my life.   Folks, that is a good feeling to have.

I believe Barnes & Noble is selling The Bullet Journal Method for around $16 on line.  I cannot more highly recommend this book to anyone who has a broad selection of professional and personal projects and interests.

Rick ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...