Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Latest Update

Recovery from double knee replacement surgery has been slow, but steady.  I'm in my sixth week of home therapy, and yesterday made the change from using my walker to using a cane.  

And not just any cane either.  My cane is a cut-down shepherds crook that I purchased in Eureka Springs, Arkansas many years ago.  It must be at least 20 years old.  I actually cut it to size and began using it several weeks before my surgeries.  I took this cane with me at the hospital.  It was, and still is, a symbol of several goals I've set for myself after my recovery is complete.   

One goal is to have strong enough knees so I can return as one of the summer chaplains at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico, perhaps in 2019 or 2020.  The shepherds crook is the symbol of BSA chaplains, and it symbolizes my truest and most honest understanding of what being a servant leader and minister is all about.  Someone who carrys a shepherds crook is someone whose passion is serving, helping, and watching over others. 

My other goal is to again seek out and more fully clarify the ways I am passionate about serving others.  That's where music comes in.

I'm currently on a sort of short-term leave from my church so that I can focus on healing and fully recovering from surgery.  One of the things I "parked" in order to do so was singing and playing the guitar (or any other musical instrument for that matter).  Pain meds were affecting my concentration.  Now that my dosage continues to be reduced, my mind, and focus are back, and I find I miss performing a great deal.  Hopefully in late March I can be well enough to carry, or "roll" my guitar and equipment into the venues where I provide therapeutic music entertainment.  (More to come on a portable rolling cart I'm currently designing using a Rigid brand wheeled tool chest base.)

More posts and pictures coming soon.

God's grace, and the healing of mind and body, still amazes me . . . ><>

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...