Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jim Croce - I Got a Name (1973)



I remember this song from my high school years.  I memorized it back in 1975 and sang it at youth group gatherings and assemblies.

My parents were winding up a divorce in 1975.  Dad moved out, and things got quieter and a bit more stable.  But it was 1975, and friends were telling me that I was from a broken home.  Someone asked how it felt that my life was over.

Really? 

I knew I had a name, a purpose, a vision, a passion.  College was calling, my first time to leave home.  In college I met the woman who would become my wife to this day (42 years of marriage).  I found that ministry was where I belonged, and I found that I could still get people to sing with me in various places and locals.  Although I mostly "speak" for a living, I have been able to sing for people in Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, and in my home state of Texas.

Moving ahead so life won't pass me by . . . that's the last line of the chorus of this song.  I've kept ahead . . . it's been hark work.  But fruitful work, because at my last breath, I will be able to clearly say, and believe . . . I know who I am!

Has a song every spoken to you at an important time in your life?  Has a song every provided you with inspiration to keep on moving forward?

No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...