Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Jim Croce - Bad Bad Leroy Brown (Midnight Special - 1973)



I remembe staying up to see this in 1973 on the Midnight Special TV show, which came on Saturday night and into Sunday morning. The song finally came at the very end of the show.  IT was worth the wait.

My maternal grandfather actually heard about this song before I did.  His name was Leon Brown, and he said a guy on the radio was singing a song about him!  My grandfather was a retired Methodist preacher, and I couldn't begin to imagine someone on the radio had written a song about him.

That very day . . . I heard "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" on the radio.  I bought the sheet music and learned the song in less than a week.  And . . . I had to learn how to bar chord on a 12-string guitar.  I had a cramped hand for a long time.  Actually, it still cramps my hand to play this song the way Jim did.

A fun song that people will sing with you . . . even senior adults in nursing homes.  It's fun, and it's lively, and people enjoy the chorus.

What song makes you happy when you sing or play it on your favorite instrument?

Rick ><>

1 comment:

Kelley Stone said...

Always loved Maury Muehleisen's guitar work on so many of Jim's songs. Sadly he perished in the same crash that took Jim Croce.

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...