Sunday, January 5, 2014

RIP - Phil Everly . . .

I believe that what I am about to suggest is true . . .  and that is . . .

Ask anyone my age or older . . . to list the top 5 music duo's in the history of music.

I both bet and believe that the Everly Brothers would have a place in everyone's list.

Brothers Don and Phil sang themselves into the lives and hearts of a lot of people.

Phil Everly, the younger of the two, has passed away.  I believe he was 77.

If you were in the audience at an Everly Brothers concert, or watched them on TV . . . you knew that Phil was the brother always on the left (stage right) providing the wonderful tenor harmony that blended so well with Don's singing of the melody.

Bye Bye Love . . .
Cathy's Clown . . .
Wake Up Little Suzy . . .
Bird Dog . . .
Walk Right Back . . .
Let It Be Me . . .
When Will I Be Loved . . .
All I Have To Do Is Dream . . .

Don and Phil sang these and so many more wonderful songs that rightfully receive as much credit for giving birth to rock-n-roll as did any other influence.

Maybe more so that all the rest combined.

They changed music.  In truth . . . the Beatles and all the other mega-groups and big name acts came "after" the Everly Brothers showed us that you could put energy into both country and rock-n-roll  . . . the outcome of which was something that touched the hearts of a lot of young people looking for a way to express themselves in the crazy world around them.

I am sad today . . . but fondly remembering Phil's music, and its affect on my life.

God's grace still amazes me . . . ><>


No comments:

I don't feel dressed without having a pen, pencil and notebook with me!

I'm at the age where I pretty much know what I like to have with me in terms of every-day-carry.   I like 4"x6" sized notebook...